London. I’ve heard it to be called the city of fog, the city of rain and the city of beer. Which form of liquid comes closest to the truth, I couldn’t say. But what I can tell ya, is that it’s a pretty unique city.
All European countries and their capitals are different and distinguishable – but none more than London. It’s kind of an achievement to the Brits, really. They wanna be different, and they wanna make sure that no one takes them for just another great European country with just another historically significant capital city. And they’ve been thorough, starting with left-hand traffic and money that literally looks like it was created based on Harry Potter.
If you want numbers and raw facts about London, go to Wikipedia. But here’s what you really need to know about this city.
1. The rain’s not an issue, the wind is. It’s damn windy. Not windy like “oh look, I should probably close my jacket”, but windy as in you literally fall over if you’re not watching out. Trust me, been there, done that.
2. People don’t use the crosswalk. Just because it’s really no use, the cabs and buses don’t care. Jaywalk, or don’t walk.
3. The tube is a silent zone. Happiness, or any other emotional display for that matter, is banned. And frowned upon. Brits have mean stares.
4. Oh and the tube is the tube. Don’t call it a subway, that’s just a sandwich.
5. Walking or using the tube even nearish to the center during the rush hour (7am to 9am and 5pm to 7pm) is bound to give you some serious aggression.
6. Random people will casually call you love, sweetie and darling and it’s pretty damn nice ♥
7. Never stand on the left. Ever.
8. Students get discounts pretty much everywhere. Which is good, but in the end, it doesn’t really matter. It just puts the prices to a somewhat acceptable level.
9. Back to the tube. It doesn’t run after midnight. It’s been running over 150 years, but it freaking doesn’t run after midnight. Get a grip London.
10. Most pubs actually close around 11pm, at least in the center. Which is good. Because the tube doesn’t run after midnight.
So, that’d be all for now. I’m sure I could come up with so many more points, but I gotta leave something for another time!